Are you facing a problem while searching on YouTube? Have you encountered a YouTube search bar not working? If yes, then you must read this article. In this article, you will learn different ways to solve the YouTube search problem.
YouTube is undoubtedly the most popular video platform right now in the world. Every day millions of videos are uploaded on YouTube from all over the world, and billions of people consume those videos. It has around 2 billion active users in the world and ranks at two positions in the most popular social media list.
However, sometimes YouTube doesn’t work properly, and the message ‘no return found’ pops up. In this article, you will learn about the reasons that cause this problem and their solutions. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the topic of how to fix YouTube search not working on mobile and desktop.
What are the things to keep in mind while searching on YouTube?
- Keywords play an important role while you search on YouTube. Therefore, try keeping your words short and to the point when you search. If your words are lengthy, YouTube will probably revert the results.
- It is possible that YouTube has removed the words from the list. However, you still have a chance to search for deleted videos by using this method.
- Words need to be spelled correctly and put space between every word. If the words are juggled too much, YouTube won’t show the result.
- Reduce the search filter. You can either search again or remove and try it again.
Check whether YouTube working or not
Sometimes, YouTube removes its search filters, and a message pops up saying YouTube search not working. Ensure that you use fewer filters while searching to avoid this problem. Also, check the server of the YouTube at the outage report or down detector.
In case the server is down, then wait until Google fixes its server for public use. Plus, you can search on your Twitter and Facebook regarding this matter. If you cannot find anyone talking about it, just simply tag YouTube’s official social media handle and report your problem.
If you think the problem is in the hardware of the device or the internet connection, then the below solutions will help you. Now that we have learned about the searching process and reasons. Let’s straight ahead to the solutions to fix this problem.
How to fix the YouTube search bar not working on mobile?
We have included eight different methods to fix YouTube search bar not working on your mobile. Read further to learn about the solutions.
Solution 1: Check the internet connection
Make sure that your internet connection is strong when you search on YouTube. Whether you are using mobile data or wifi, the internet connection should be strong enough to connect your device from the server.
If you are using wifi, you can check whether the connection is strong or weak by searching some queries on Google. If you can search on Google, it means YouTube search will also work perfectly.
Solution 2: Restart your mobile and fix YouTube search not working
Alright, this might sound childish and silly, but this method does help in fixing the YouTube search problem. Due to a temporary bug or glitch, the YouTube search does not work properly. However, if you restart or reboot your device, all the temporary bugs are removed, and so the YouTube search not working.
Solution 3: Correct time and date on your mobile
Sometimes incorrect dates and times on your mobile phone also cause YouTube search not working. Remember that all the works of Google are based on real-time. And if it does not match your device’s time frame, it leads to a search problem. In case you don’t know how to fix the date and time, follow the below steps.
- First, navigate to the ‘Settings‘ on your mobile.
- Click on ‘Additional Settings‘.
- In Additional Setting, click on the ‘Date and Time‘ option.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the time that matches the place you currently reside. Reset the date also, and your YouTube search will work properly.
You also have a choice of setting the time manually. You can go for that if you don’t find the correct time in the menu. After resetting the date and time, check whether the problem persists.
Solution 4: Clear the cache and data from the YouTube application
YouTube stores all the information on your mobile as a cache in order to speed up the loading process. If you use YouTube regularly, a lot of data are stored as a cache. This over-flooding data takes a lot of space on your device, resulting in mobile lagging. Plus, clearing data and cache on your mobile will help you to fix YouTube search not working. Follow the below instruction and clear the data.
- Press and hold the YouTube icon and then click on YouTube info.
- Now, click on the ‘Force Stop‘ option and go to ‘Storage usage.’
- Then click on ‘Clear Cache‘ and ‘Clear Data.’
After clearing all the data, try searching on the YouTube search bar and check the error message still persists.
Solution 5: Restore YouTube to Factory Version
Let us inform you beforehand, restoring the YouTube application to Factory will remove all the updates, and the app reverts to the default version. However, this method will fix the YouTube search not working. Follow the below-given steps to carry on the process.
- Press and hold the YouTube icon and tap on ‘App info.’
- After that, tap on the three dots located on the right side and click on ‘Uninstall update.’
After uninstalling updates, you can search on YouTube.
Solution 6: Update your YouTube Application
It is important to update your mobile application time-to-time as it enhances the features, functionalities, protects from bugs and malware, and so on. It enhances the responsiveness of the application and makes it more efficient.
Therefore, if the YouTube search bar not working is a temporary glitch, then a YouTube update might solve this issue. You must update your YouTube application to the latest version from the app store or play store in order to fix this problem.
Solution 7: Update your mobile Operating System
In case the above solutions are not helping you to fix YouTube search not working, you need to check for the updates of your YouTube app. The old version of the YouTube application creates a problem and prevents you from accessing it. Hence, you must update it to the latest version and check whether the problem persists.
Solution 8: Try YouTube incognito mode
Many times YouTube search not working problem occurs only on Google account. Users complained that the YouTube search on the app is working fine, but they cannot search queries on the browser. In such a situation, try using incognito mode for a YouTube search. This might fix the YouTube search not working problem. Following are the steps to search YouTube in incognito mode.
- Tap the profile icon located at the top right of the screen.
- Now, select incognito mode.
Now, you can search for anything on YouTube.
Extra Tips: You can close your YouTube application, open it again, and search for the query that was creating the problem. Users have claimed that this method helps in fixing the problem.
How to fix the YouTube search bar not working on the Desktop?
In case you are facing a YouTube search problem on your desktop, the below methods will help you to solve them. Read on to know about the solutions.
Similar to mobile, if you do not clear the cache and cookies on the browser, it slows down the responsiveness and the process. YouTube will not function properly and create unnecessary problems like YouTube search not working. That is why you must clear unnecessary data and free up space on your desktop. If you don’t know the process, follow the below steps to do so.
- First, tap the three dots located at the top-right of the screen and select ‘Settings.’
- In Settings, tap on ‘Clear browsing data.’
- In the ‘Time Range‘ option, choose ‘All-Time.’ After that, tap on the ‘Clear data‘ option and wait until the process is completed.
If you use Firefox, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Tap the three horizontal lines and tap on ‘Options.’
- After that, select ‘Privacy and Security‘ located at the left panel.
- Search for ‘Clear data,’ next to ‘Cookies and Site Data‘, and click on it.
- Then tap on the ‘Ok‘ button to save changes.
After completing the above steps and clearing cookies and data, browse YouTube and search anything on it. This will fix the YouTube search problem.
Solution 2: Try YouTube search in Incognito Mode
You can try YouTube search on incognito mode if the first solution does not fix your problem. Or remove your Google account and check whether the problem only persists on your account. This might help you to know the exact reason behind the YouTube search not working problem.
Solution 3: Update your browser or search YouTube on a different browser
Sometimes, browser problem also causes YouTube search not working. In order to fix this, you must check whether your browser is updated or not. If not, update it as soon as possible. Or else you can try a different browser to access YouTube. Try to run YouTube on a different browser and then search on YouTube to check whether the problem occurs.
More tips for searching on YouTube
Now that we have talked about learned methods to update your YouTube. Let’s talk about the things that you can search on YouTube.
1. Search for movies – You search for the movies that are available on YouTube. Just enter your query and separate each word with a comma.
2. Search for UHD and HD videos – If you want a movie in HD, type the HD or UHD in the search box.
3. Search videos by date – If you want a video that has recently got viral, you can search for it by mentioning dates like ‘This month’ or ‘This week,’ etc.
4. Search for partners – People also search for professional videos. You can do it by using ‘YouTube Partners’ too and search for important and professional content.
5. Channel search – If you want to search the particular channel on YouTube, just type the name of the channel and mention the word ‘channel.’
6. Combination search – The more particular keywords you use, the narrower your search becomes. So, if you are looking for a particular video, just combine two search tickets.
We have covered in detail the reasons and the solutions on how to fix YouTube search not working. Try using every method one by one and see which one helps you to fix the problem.