If you are wondering how to solve the WoW Escape key not working problem, you have come to the right page. Here, let’s figure out how you can solve this problem.
There is no doubt that World of Warcraft is one of the most popular online games today. This MMORPG (multiplayer online role-playing game) has been played for years by avid gamers from all corners of the world. The fantasy world offers very exciting gameplay, and the adventures are so endless that you will get immersed for hours at an end.
However, there are always some types of problems that occur when you are playing any online PC game. In the World of Warcraft, there is a particular problem that many Windows 10 gamers have complained about – the WoW Escape key not working.
Here, let’s discuss everything about this WoW Escape key problem and how to solve it.
Why Does Escape Key Not Working Problem Occurs in the WoW?
There are many reasons why this WoW Escape key not working problem takes place. Let us read why you may face this problem:
1. Third-party Applications
It is a known fact that some third-party applications may interfere with the normal working of the WoW Escape key. One of these applications is the NVIDIA Shadow Play, which is notoriously known to cause this problem.
2. Incorrect Installation
While this reason for the WoW Escape key not working problem is quite rare, it can take place occasionally. However, you can simply reload to temporarily remedy the problem.
In the World of Warcraft, many gamers make use of add-ons, particularly when it comes to sections of the game like basic raiding, etc. Most of these add-ons are third-party tools and may interfere with the normal running of your game.
PS: if you are searching for the best games like World Of Warcraft, this guide you should check out.
What Are Some In-Game Settings You Can Change To Deal With Escape Key Problem in the WoW?
Before we start to look into the solutions to help fix the Escape key not working problem in the WoW, there are certain things you need to get done before. Ensure that you are logged into your system as an administrator and be connected to the internet. Additionally, it is also recommended that you keep your credentials ready, just in case.
Method 1. Disabling the WoW Add-Ons
As mentioned previously, one reason why you should be facing the WoW Escape problem is that you have certain add-ons enabled.
To disable these add-ons, all you need to do is follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you need to open the World of Warcraft game on your computer and log into your account.
- Head over to the Menu section and click on Add-Ons.
- Here, you will find the option to disable the add-ons; all you need to do here is uncheck the boxes.
- Finally, restart the game.
Method 2: Resetting the In-Game Settings
Resetting the in-game settings of the game can help you solve the WoW Escape key not working. The steps to do so include:
- Head over to the Blizzard Battlenet application and then click on Game Settings.
- Select The World of Warcraft to open it.
- Tap on the button ‘Reset In-Game‘ options and click on the Reset button.
- Next, tap on the Done button and relaunch the game.
Method 3: Resetting the Escape Keybinding
For online gamers, the keybinding option is considered a life-saver. To make an action, all you need to do is select a shortcut on the keyboard. This way, you will save a lot of time and focus your attention more on the game.
Please find the below simple steps to fix the Escape key not working in the WoW:
- Head over to the Main Menu and tap on Key Binding.
- Tap and select the Interface Panel and look for the ESC key.
- Once you find it, you can simply bind it to the Toggle Game Menu.
What Are Some Other Solutions That Can Help You Solve the Escape Key Problem in the WoW?
As mentioned previously, there are many other types of problems that may take place if you are wondering why your WoW Escape button is not working. Let us check some of the solutions mentioned below.
Solution 1: Disabling Other Third-Party Apps
The third-party applications mentioned above are all related to World of Warcraft. Disabling these apps may not provide you with the answer to solve the WoW Escape key not working problem. This is because you may be using some other types of third-party applications that are not related to WoW.
For instance, you may be using some sort of screen recording software or NVIDIA Shadow Play, which may work on top of the game. Additionally, there may be other types of tools that keep monitoring your actions and may get triggered at any moment. In such cases, it is always better to disable such third-party applications.
Please Find the Below Simple Guide to Fix Escape Key Not Working in WoW.
- The first step is to tap on Windows and R button simultaneously; on the dialogue box that opens up, type in ‘appwiz.cpl‘ and tap on the Enter button.
- This will open the application manager; here, you need to take a close look at all the running apps and uninstall the ones you think are the cause of the problem. To uninstall the app, all you need to do is right-click on the entry and tap on Uninstall.
- After, you will have to restart your computer and check whether the Escape key problem in WoW has been solved or not.
On the other hand, if no third-party applications are running, it is likely that the issue is happening because of NVIDIA Shadow Play; to disable it, all you need to do is follow the steps mentioned below:
- Log into your computer as an administrator and tap to open the NVIDIA GeForce Experience application.
- On the left, please click on the General tab. Switch off the ‘Share‘ option (Share is another name for ShadowPlay). Once done, save the changes and exit.
- Finally, please restart your computer and check whether the problem has been solved or not.
Solution 2: Disabling the Add-Ons to Fix Escape Key Not Working in the WoW
World of Warcraft is known to support various types of add-ons to make its gameplay amazing for its gamers. You have the choice to tweak various aspects of the game, like the user interface, etc., to customize your gameplay. Most gamers make use of these add-ons to ensure they have a better experience of raiding or improve communication.
However, most of these add-ons are supplied by third-party developers. Hence, these apps may not function the way they are supposed to. In this case, it is recommended that you disable these add-ons to solve the WoW Escape key not working problem.
One of these steps has been mentioned in the previous section.
Below, We Have Provided You with Another Method to Disable the Add-ons:
- You need to launch Windows Explorer; to do this, press on Windows and E buttons together.
- Next, you need to type down ‘%\World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\AddOns‘; as for the older WoW version, you need to type ‘%\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns‘.
- To empty the add-on folder, you need to cut the entire content of the folder and paste it into another file directory, like My Documents.
- Finally, you need to shut down and start the computer device afresh. Once done, start the game and check whether the WoW Escape problem has been resolved or not.
Solution 3: Making Use of /Reload to Fix Escape Key Not Working in the WoW
By using the /reload command in WoW, you will be able to enable all the user interfaces to reload the game from the start. This command is typically used to solve different types of error configurations that you may face; this is done by rebuilding your UI and fetching all your data. Based on research, it has been found that the UI, if reloaded, will temporarily fix the problem.
In the chat window, you need to type ‘/reload‘ and tap on the Enter button. Once done, you will see that the World of Warcraft game is now being loaded; you need to be patient during this process because it tends to take some time.
Once done, you simply need to check whether the Escape key not working in the WoW has been solved or not.
Solution 4: Reinstall the Game
While all the above-mentioned methods have been tried-and-tested to help solve the Escape key not working in the WoW, there is always a possibility that they will not be able to solve this issue. This scenario will only take place if the installation files of WoW have been corrupted. Of course, you do not have to worry about anything.
At times, some installation files may become unusable if there is an interruption in the installation method, or you may have deleted the files by mistake. In such cases, you will have to reinstall the game on your system. To do this, ensure that all you keep the credentials ready during the installation process.
Now, Let Us Learn How You Can Uninstall and Reinstall the World of Warcraft Game:
- You first need to press on Windows and R buttons simultaneously on the Start dialogue box and tap on Enter.
- On the next list, you need to look for Warcraft. Once you find it, right-click on it and tap on the Uninstall button.
On the other hand, you can also uninstall the game via the Blizzard client if you use it. Additionally, if you access the game from a folder that has been copied from another source, you can delete this folder as well. Remember to clean the temporary files that are stored in your system.
As for the installation method, you will first have to head over to the official Blizzard website. Here, you need to look for the World of Warcraft client. Once you find it, you need to download and install the game as an administrator. Once the installation process is completed, you will have to restart your system. Then, start the game and type in your credentials. After you launch the game, you can check whether the Escape key not working in the WoW has been solved or not.
On the other hand, even if this method fails, there is the last option that you can try. You can make use of the Restoro Repair Tool to solve the Escape key not working in the WoW issue.
This tool will scan all your folders to look for corrupt files and replace them. This method is known to work most of the time. Additionally, Restoro will also optimize your computer system to maximize efficiency and performance.