There are more than 1.5 billion individuals across the globe use WhatsApp today. If you fall into that category and use WhatsApp on a regular basis, you probably know about creating WhatsApp backups. According to most of the users, Google Drive is one of the most efficient ways to create WhatsApp backups. However, some of the individuals are still not aware of how WhatsApp backup on Google Drive functions. If used correctly, Google Drive is a highly versatile tool. Here, we intend to explain several useful aspects of creating WhatsApp backup on Google Drive.
Part 01: Creating a WhatsApp backup on Google Drive
Before everything else, it is best to learn how to create a WhatsApp backup on Google Drive. Although this process is pretty simple, we intend to explain it in a step-by-step method. We believe that novice WhatsApp users will find this step to be very handy.
- 01. As the first step, you should open WhatsApp on the device.
- 02. Then, just tap on the ‘Menu‘ icon, which appears as a ‘three-dotted‘ icon.
- 03. Go to the option labeled ‘Settings‘ and select ‘Chat.’
- 04. Tap on the option labeled ‘Chat Backup.’
- 05. Select ‘Back up to Google Drive‘ from the available options. You can now choose a backup frequency (anything other than the option called ‘Never‘).
- 06. Now, you should pick a Google Account under which you will be creating the WhatsApp backup. If you haven’t added a Google account yet to the respective WhatsApp account, tap on ‘Add Account.’ Then, you should sign in to the Google Account with the email and password. Make sure that you remember the account because you will need it at the point of restoring the backup.
- 07. Tap on the option called ‘Back up Over.’ This will guide you to select a network through which you will create the backup. Choose the preferred network. At the completion of these steps, the backup process should start immediately.
Creating a backup manually on Google Drive
If you want to know how to create a WhatsApp backup on Google Drive, read the instructions mentioned below.
- 01. First, open WhatsApp app on your device.
- 02. Tap on the menu icon (the three-dotted icon) and choose the option ‘Settings.’
- 03. Then, go to ‘Chats‘ and select the option labeled ‘Chat Backup.’
- 04. Now, tap on the option called ‘Back up‘ so WhatsApp will start creating the backup immediately.
Part 02: Restoring WhatsApp backup from Google Drive
You can restore a WhatsApp backup to your device from Google Drive when there is a requirement. However, to do it without any hassle, you should use the same phone number and Google Account. Mentioned below are the steps to restore WhatsApp backup from Google Drive you have already created.
- 01. As the first step, you should add the same Google account, which is used to create the backup.
- 02. Now, you can uninstall the WhatsApp app on the device and get it reinstalled. This can be done using the Google Play Store as you would normally do.
- 03. You should follow the instructions to configure your WhatsApp account. After verifying the phone number, WhatsApp will direct you to restore data like chats and media from Google Drive. All you should do is to tap on ‘Restore.’
- 04. At the completion of the restoration process, you should tap on the option labeled ‘Next.’ Then, the chats on the backups will be displayed on the device after the initialization process.
Part 03: How to delete an existing WhatsApp backup on Google Drive
In certain cases, you may have to delete existing WhatsApp backups on your Google Drive. Regardless of the reason, deleting an existing backup is not a difficult task at all. Please follow up below guide to do it.
- 01. First, you should get any web browser opened on your computer and visit Google Drive’s website. You will have to log into the Google account under which the respective WhatsApp backup is saved. This step can be performed even using your smartphone, although it is better to go to the ‘Desktop Version.’ To go to ‘Desktop Version,’ you are required to tap on the menu icon on the top-left corner and choose the option ‘Desktop Version.’
- 02. After logging in, you will have to click on the gear icon located towards the top-right corner. Then, choose the option labeled ‘Settings‘ and then tap on ‘Manage Apps.’
- 03. Scroll down and locate the WhatsApp option on the list appeared. Please note that it will take a few seconds for WhatsApp to appear on the list.
- 04. After locating the app, you should wait for ‘Hidden App Data‘ to appear on the screen. Then, please click on the option called ‘Delete Hidden App Data‘ and then choose to ‘Delete‘ it.
Important things you should know about Google Drive
As we all know, Google Drive has become a very popular option as a cloud storage option. Well, there are several important things you should know about this feature. So, if you have decided to keep a backup of your WhatsApp data in Google Drive, read the following.
- WhatsApp Backups don’t count on the storage Quota on Google Drive.
- If you don’t update WhatsApp backups for more than one year, they get deleted automatically. That is a way to keep the allocated storage space free as much as possible.
- During the process of creating backups, you should keep the device connected to a reliable power source. This is particularly true if you are creating the first backup. In fact, this process takes a while, and any power interruption will stop creating a proper backup.
- You are allowed to change how frequent the backups of your WhatsApp account are created. For instance, you can allow WhatsApp to create daily backups or weekly backups on Google Drive.
- Also, you are allowed to change the Google Account used to create backups whenever you need it. To do this, you should first go to ‘WhatsApp‘ and then choose ‘More Options.’ Then, go to ‘Settings,’ ‘Chats,’ and choose ‘Chat Backup.’
- If you create a new backup on the same Google Drive, the old backup will be replaced. Instead of the old backup, the new WhatsApp backup will be there.
- The data (such as messages and media) in Google Drive doesn’t have end-to-end encryption.
Part 04: What if WhatsApp on Google Drive doesn’t work?
It is true that Google Drive is a very handy option to create WhatsApp backups. However, it may have some drawbacks, at least on an occasional basis. There are various complains about the issues associated with Google Drive backups. More importantly, some of the users say that their Google Drive stops working completely.
Even if your Google Drive is working perfectly for the moment, it is handy to know a better alternative. When it comes to great alternatives to Google Drive, the best we can recommend is iTransor for WhatsApp. This is a superb backup tool that can backup and restore WhatsApp data conveniently. It has plenty of features to impress WhatsApp users. The best thing is the convenience it delivers to the users.
In order to use this tool and create a backup of WhatsApp data, you should first download the software. Then, you should get the software installed the same on your computer and follow the steps mentioned below.
- As the first step, you should launch iTransor for WhatsApp on the computer. Then, you should click on the option called ‘Backup WhatsApp on Devices.’
- Connect the device to the same computer on which iTransor software is installed. You should make sure that you use an original USB cable to connect the device. In addition to that, you must enable USB debugging mode so that iTransor will recognize the device.
- Once the device is detected by iTransor software, you should click on the option called ‘Back Up.’ After clicking on it, you will see that the process begins automatically. Make sure that you keep the device connected to the computer and wait patiently for the process is completed. Any interruption will prevent creating a backup.
One of the most notable benefits associated with iTransor is convenience. In fact, this program allows you to create backups selectively. That means you can back up only the files you need instead of all of them. If it is really necessary, however, you can even create a backup of all the data as well.
As you already know, creating WhatsApp backups is a very handy feature. With the assistance of these backups, you can retrieve data whenever you need, even if something unfortunate has happened. For instance, if you have deleted an important video or a photo by accident, you can retrieve them back. This is exactly when we consider a tool like iTransor for WhatsApp is a superb tool. In a nutshell, it is a perfect alternative to create WhatsApp backup on Google Drive.