Do you wonder what happens when you mute someone on WhatsApp? If you do, here’s a must-read article for you. We will discuss pretty much everything about this action to the benefit of our readers. So, continue reading.
In fact, WhatsApp can be considered to be the most stable, reliable, and trustworthy VoIP and messaging app. It allows you to communicate with anyone regardless of their location.
As long as you have a good internet connection, WhatsApp can keep you connected. This awesome app allows you to make voice and video calls, send messages (read it if you are facing the Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active issue), and share other files.
Despite its usefulness, WhatsApp is often being misused by many users. For instance, some users often send irrelevant, annoying messages to other users. If you face such a situation, you are left with the option of muting those annoying contacts.
But what happens when you mute someone on WhatsApp? How can you do that and avoid those obvious annoyances? Let’s find it out.
Part 1: What Happens When You Mute Someone on WhatsApp?
Let’s get to the main point straightaway. In other words, what happens when you mute someone on WhatsApp? Well, in simplest terms, muting is a term that describes the practice of stopping someone from bothering you.
In other words, it is a way of “partially blocking” a particular contact. Once a given contact is muted, he or she will still be able to have trouble sending messages. However, you will never get push notifications from those muted contacts anymore.
As a result of muting, your phone will not show notifications when it receives messages from muted contacts. The best thing is that the messages they send are visible on your device.
Also, you can even reply to those conversations. So, it is a method that allows you to block the push notifications and choose what to reply for. When those connections are muted, they are not completely cut off. Instead, you will be blocking those annoying notifications and focusing on your important work.
In Addition to That, Let’s Learn What the Respective Contact Can See After They Are Muted.
For instance, does he or she get a notification once they are muted by you? Well, the answer is NO. The respective contact can still send you texts as they usually do. You only mute their push notifications. As a result, they won’t notice anything strange even after being muted.
So, basically, muting is an option that allows you to experience peace of mind without being bothered by notifications. You can focus on the important work you are doing and pay attention to those messages later on.
So, that’s all about the consequences of muting. Now that you know about what happens when you mute someone on WhatsApp, let’s learn how to do it.
PS: Let’s figure out how to transfer WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to iPhone 11 with ease.
Part 2: How Can You Mute Another User on WhatsApp?
Well, the above paragraph clearly describes what happens when you mute someone on WhatsApp.
Now, it is time to figure out how to mute a given content on your device. The process is not difficult at all. Just follow up on the steps listed below and mute the contact you need.
Without Further Ado, Let’s Move into the Steps and Mute a Contact That Frequently Disturbs You.
- First, you should launch WhatsApp on your phone. Then, tap on a conversation initiated by the respective contact, which you intend to mute. The respective content will be opened now. Then, click on the icon reserved for Menu, which is located at the top-right corner of the screen.
- After that, you will see a list of options. Just tap on the option labeled “Mute Notifications.”
- You will see another popup on the screen. It will ask you to choose how long the respective contact should be muted. Just choose the duration you need from the list of options. For instance, you can mute that contact for 8 hours. Also, it lets you mute the contact for longer durations, such as one week or even one year. Also, be sure to uncheck the option called “Show Notifications” as well. Then, apply the changes you made by clicking on “OK.”
That’s basically it. After all the above steps, the respective contact is muted. That means you will never get any notifications from the respective contact no matter how many texts they send. Once the chosen duration is exceeded, the contact will be unmuted automatically.
For instance, if you have muted a contact for 8 hours, it will become unmuted automatically after 8 hours. If you need to keep it muted further, just follow the same steps above and apply the mute option.
In addition to muting a single contact on your WhatsApp contact list, you can mute multiple contacts as well. It becomes handy if you want to stop receiving notifications from several annoying contacts for a specific period.
With That Said, You Can Mute Several Different Contacts by Following the Steps Mentioned Below.
Just like the previous process, this method is very simple.
- First, please open WhatsApp on your device. Then, you should press on a contact and hold it for a while. Once you have done that, it will direct you to a situation where you can select multiple contacts.
- Now, it is your turn to choose the annoying or troublesome contacts that should be muted. Select all those contacts and tap on the icon that represents the “Mute” function to mute them.
- After that, please choose a duration to keep those contacts muted. Just like in the previous session, you can choose 8 hours, one week, or even one year. Then, just click on “OK,’ and the selected contacts will be muted.
What is the Difference Between Muting and Blocking Contact on WhatsApp?
As a WhatsApp user, you should know that “Muting” and “Blocking” are two different features. In other words, muting doesn’t mean blocking contact on WhatsApp.
If you block a particular contact, the respective contact cannot necessarily send a message to you. Also, they cannot even check your activities on WhatsApp. Also, blocked contacts cannot see story updates, profile pictures, or even status updates as well.
The blocked contacts will be able to send messages, but those messages will not be delivered to your account. So, blocking can be considered as the last resort to get rid of a really annoying contact.
After blocking a contact, the respective user will realize that you have blocked them. Therefore, this is not the most appropriate option to use on friends and closer ones. Basically, blocking should be used to prevent an annoying WhatsApp user permanently from reaching you.
As we explained earlier, muting is a pretty gentle approach. It is more of a temporary method that allows you to mute the push notifications and still receive messages. So, you should weigh the impacts of “Muting” and “Blocking” a contact and choose what’s ideal for you.
Also, let’s learn more about how to backup WhatsApp contacts.
Bonus Tip: Transferring WhatsApp Messages from One Device to Another
As we all know, WhatsApp is the preferred messaging and VoIP app of many users across the globe. Currently, it has more than 2 billion active users, and that explains its popularity.
That said, you might have plenty of important and valuable messages in your WhatsApp inbox (Let’s see how to transfer Whatsapp messages from iPhone to Xiaomi).
In general, users don’t want to get rid of those messages even when they switch to a new device. So, is it possible to transfer your WhatsApp messages from one device to another (How to Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android)? The answer is yes.
If you want to transfer your valuable WhatsApp messages to another device, you can use a professional tool. The best tool to accomplish this task easily and effectively is iCareFone for WhatsApp Transfer. In fact, iCareFone is a designated, specialized tool to manage WhatsApp data on your device.
One of the best functions of this app is that it features cross-platform data transferring. That means this app lets you transfer data even between Android to iPhones and vice-versa.
Mentioned Below is How to Transfer Your Whatsapp Messages from One Device to Another Using iCareFone.
- First, please download and install iCareFone on your PC. Then, you should connect both the devices to the same PC using USB cables.
- Once the smartphones are recognized without any issue, select the “Source Device” first. Then, select the other devices as your “Destination Device.”
- A popup menu will appear and click on “Yes” to confirm the action.
- Just follow the onscreen instructions. You can then copy the data from “Source” to “Destination.” Then, click on “Continue.”
- After completing the data backup, iCareFone will fetch data from the respective device.
- Then, the data transfer will begin, and at the completion of the process, you will be notified.
As you can see, it is exceptionally convenient to use iCareFone and transfer your data between devices.
Hopefully, you have a good idea about what happens when you mute someone on WhatsApp after reading the above.