Uninstalling chrome on Mac is not as easy as one might think. It is true that you can uninstall apps from Mac simply by dragging it to the trash. However, that’s not the case with Chrome. Continue reading & learn how to uninstall chrome on Mac without causing any issues.
There is no doubt that Chrome has become one of the most popular browsers among users today. This special browser is used in Macs as well. However, due to some reasons, some individuals want to know how to uninstall chrome on Mac. If you want to learn how to do it properly, this article explains it.
Method 1: Uninstalling chrome on Mac using the manual method
Well, you can uninstall Chrome manually on a Mac if you need to do so. The good news is that it is not too complicated to uninstall Chrome on Mac. But still, there are a couple of important steps to follow and remove Chrome and traces from the system.
Before starting the uninstallation process, you should quit the app if it is currently running. To do that, you can just right-click on Chrome’s icon located on the Dock. Then, you should choose the option called “Quit.” If not, you can even deactivate the app completely. To do that, you should just launch the option called “Activity Monitor.” After that, go to the processes and choose the option labeled “Quit Process” to quit the app.
Once you have done that, you can start uninstalling Chrome on Mac. You can use any of the methods mentioned below to manually remove Chrome from Mac.
Besides, click here to read more about the full MacBooster review.
Option 01: Drag Chrome to Mac’s Trash
The most basic and simplest option is to drag the Chrome app to the Trash of the system. Well, if you need to know how to do it, just follow the steps listed below.
- First, go to the “Finder” of your Mac.
- Now, you will be able to see an option called “Applications” on the sidebar of the window.
- When you see the list, you should scroll it down and locate the folder named Chrome. Once you have done that, locate the icon that represents Chrome. Then, drag it to the Trash icon. If not, you can even right-click on the respective icon and choose the option called “Move to Trash.”
- As the last step, you will have to right-click on the Trash as well. Then, you should choose the option labeled “Empty Trash.” As a result, Google Chrome will be uninstalled from your system.
Well, the drag-and-drop method we have mentioned above will work on all the MacOS versions. Also, it will work with many apps installed on your Mac. Since this option is easier to perform, you can try it even if you are a novice. It will remove the app instantly from the system. However, this method has one drawback. In certain cases, this method may not remove all the components of the uninstalled app.
Option 02: Delete Chrome using Launchpad
Apart from the above method, you can use the Launchpad feature as well to uninstall Chrome from your Mac. In this case, you will have to follow the steps that are mentioned below.
- First, you should launch the option called “Launchpad” on your Mac. Then, enter the text “Chrome” on the search box, which is located on top.
- After that, you should click and hold on the Chrome icon. When you do that, you can see the respective icon is wiggling.
- As the final step, you should click on the icon with “X.” It can be seen towards the left-hand side of the Chrome screen. Now, Google Chrome will be deleted from your Mac.
Do you use OS X Lion or a newer version? If so, there is another method of uninstalling Google Chrome on Mac. You can easily get rid of Google Chrome through the App Store. Or, you can even click on the “X” button placed on the screen so the app will be uninstalled. None of these methods require you to remove potential residue on the system after the uninstallation.
Deleting potential Chrome leftovers once the manual uninstallation is completed
Now that you have uninstalled Chrome on your MacOS using the manual method, one more step is remaining. When it comes to manual uninstallation of an app on macOS, it is not a 100% completed process. In fact, the OS might have some leftover components of the uninstalled app that can become an issue later. Just because the icon is not visible anymore on the “Applications” folder, the residue of the app can remain. So, if you want to remove the app completely from the OS, you should choose a different approach.
Well, in general, all the MacOS apps you install are designed to be self-contained packages. So, they can be removed from the system without much complexity. However, they tend to leave some multiple residual components even if the uninstallation process is completed. Therefore, you should follow are the manual approach to find those leftovers and remove them successfully from the system.
If you want to do it manually, you should follow the instructions that are mentioned below.
- First, please go to the “Finder” and then click on the option called “Menu Bar.” After that, you should choose the entry labeled “Go to Folder” to proceed to the next step.
- After that, enter the text “/Library” (without inverted commas) and hit the “Enter” key on the keyboard.
- Now, you are supposed to take a look at the folders that may contain Chrome files. To make it easier, we will list down those locations (folders) you should check.
- /Library/Application Support
- After that, please right-click on the respective file to see the options. Just choose the option called “Move to Trash” so you can proceed.
- After that, you should type the path for the respective User Library as well. All you need is to open Home Folder and enter the command “~/Library” (without inverted commas). Then, hit enter to proceed.
- Now, you can locate all the files and folders that are related to Google Chrome. Just delete them all.
- Likewise, you should delete all the files and folders that are connected to Google Chrome. To finish the process, you should hit the “Trash Folder” option. As a result, you should see that all the files are removed from the system completely.
As you can notice, deleting the residue related to Chrome files requires some effort. The process is somewhat longer. This method is associated with some drawbacks as well. For instance, you can unintentionally delete other files instead of Chrome-related ones. If you delete an important file on the system by mistake, that can lead to various errors and annoyances. Also, you may still leave some residue on some folders since the process is manual.
So, what’s the answer? In this case, the best option is to look for a software tool that can delete the residue automatically. The next section of our article explains an ideal solution to get rid of potential leftovers on your macOS.
Method 2: How to uninstall chrome on Mac using iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner with one-click operation
As we mentioned in the previous segment, it is possible to uninstall Chrome on your Mac manually. However, the process looks somewhat challenging. Also, it may leave some residue in the system and, more importantly, has the potential of deleting other files. Therefore, you should look for a professional, streamlined process to uninstall chrome on Mac.
There are several solutions to get this job done effectively. However, we consider iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner as the best option due to various reasons.
Before we learn how to uninstall chrome on Mac using Umate Mac Cleaner, let’s look at its features.
- This special program is capable of uninstalling chrome on Mac effortlessly and completely.
- It doesn’t leave any leftovers in the system at the completion of uninstallation.
- Very convenient one-click operation to get rid of Chrome without leaving any residue.
- It doesn’t require you to delete the files manually after installation.
- It allows you to learn the last used time of the Chrome app.
- Umate comprises several other handy features to clean junk files on your Mac and make it run faster.
Well, now let’s learn how to uninstall chrome on Mac using this handy application. The process is very simple, but to make it even easier, we explain it in step-by-step mode.
First, you should install the iMyFone Umate app on your Mac and open it to proceed.
1. Once you see the home screen of the app, choose the option called “Manage the Applications & Extensions.” It is located in the left toolbar.
2. After that, you should click on the option called “View Items,” which is located under “Uninstall Applications.” As a result, you can see all the applications that are installed on your Mac. Those apps will be displayed along with the relevant data as well. For instance, the installation date, app size, frequency of use will be displayed along with the app. This allows you to pick the app that should be uninstalled. In fact, in this case, you should choose Google Chrome.
3. As the final step, you should click on the option called “Uninstall.” That will remove Google Chrome from your Mac. The best thing about this method is that it allows you to uninstall Chrome without necessarily leaving any residue. Also, it lets you uninstall the app using one-click. You don’t have to remove any leftovers using the manual method. So, that’s it about uninstalling Chrome on Mac.
Well, there are several ways to get rid of Google Chrome, but the manual method has some drawbacks. It can either leave some components or, in the worst case, delete other files accidentally. Therefore, using a tool like iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner is the best approach to uninstall an app on Mac. Did this guide answer your question “how to uninstall chrome on Mac“? Let us know your thoughts.