How to put multiple videos on one screen on iMovie? Using iMovie, users can produce some pretty awesome movies on iOS and Mac.
Whether they are arranging photos or using an old video, they can tell any sort of story with audio and visuals.
The most amazing feature is the split-screen feature. With this feature, users can display two pictures on their screens simultaneously.
Now, these pictures can be shown on the bottom and top of the Mac or next to each other. So, how to do split-screen on iMovie? Learn here different ways how to put multiple videos on one screen iMovie.
How to Do Split Screen on iMovie on Mac
In the first place, open the iMovie project to edit on Mac. After that, keep following the instructions below on putting multiple videos on one screen on iMovie.
Do Split Screen
1: Go to the ‘Timeline‘ and choose the first clip you like to put on the split-screen.
2: Now, drag and release this clip to the second clip you like to put on the split-screen.
3: Visit the ‘Overlay Settings‘ tab present at the Viewer’s top.
4: Choose ‘Split Screen‘ from the left drop-down menu.
Now, you will be able to see the images in the Split Screen view in iMovie.
Modify the Picture Layout
For changing the layout, tap on the ‘Position‘ tab. Look for this option under the Viewer’s Overlay Settings. Pick from the bottom, top, right, or left for rearranging the images.
Put in the Slide Transition
Users can have a short transition from the first image to the second one if they want. Under the Viewer’s Overlay Settings, users have to move the slider of ‘Slide‘ for setting the transition’s duration. By default, this option is set at zero. This produces a good slide-in effect.
PS: here are the best wedding video editors for your reference.
How to Put Multiple Videos on One Screen iMovie on iOS
On your iPad, open the iMovie Project to edit. After that, go through the following instructions on how to do split-screen on iMovie.
Do Split Screen
- 1: In the movie Timeline, choose the first clip that you like to put on the Split screen.
- 2: Click on the ‘+‘ sign present at the top for adding the second clip for splitting the screen.
- 3: Choose the image and click on the ‘…‘ or ‘More‘ tab.
- 4: Select ‘Split Screen.’
Now, you will see the images in the Split Screen view.
Adjust your Images
Users can also swap the pictures on the Spilt Screen right and left. Choose the ‘Overlay Settings‘ in your Timeline. In the Viewer window, click on the ‘Swap‘ tab.
For inserting a white line between your images, choose the ‘Overlay‘ settings. After that, click on the ‘Line‘ tab from the Viewer.
For resizing a picture, select it and click on the ‘Zoom‘ tab in the Viewer. Now, zoom in or zoom out of the image using your fingers.
How to Do Split Screen on iMovie With the Best Alternative
On iMovie, using the split-screen controls seems a bit complicated to some users. Also, it is quite tedious if they like to display more than two clips. In that case, it is better to look for an alternative to putting multiple clips on one screen.
One such reliable option is to go with Filmora for Mac. This video editing tool enables users to produce a split-screen video. Also, this can be done with various animations and layouts. Users can even modify screen saturation, and brightness and adjust the audio pitch within their videos.
Key Features of Filmora:
- Using presets, users can put two or more clips side by side for making split-screen videos.
- It features more than 30 in-built screen layouts.
- It lets you use to cut, trim, crop, combine, pan, rotate, and pan effects in just a few taps.
- Now, users can touch up their videos with more than 300 amazing video effects, like filters and transitions.
So, how to put multiple videos on one screen iMovie with Wondershare Filmora? It is super easy to perform this task.
Follow the instructions given below on how to do split-screen on iMovie with Filmora.
To get started, download the Filmora application and then follow:
Step 1: First, you have to import the media files to your Media Library. After that, choose the tab ‘Split Screen‘ and preview for selecting the screen mode. Now, users can place up to 6 videos on their screen. Filmora features a lot of split-screen layouts.
Step 2: Now, drag the layout ‘Split Screen‘ to the Timeline. Then, double-tap on it to go to the editing window. Add your video clips from the Media Library to the screen. Now, you can adjust the thickness and color of the borders in the split-screen video.
Then, apply motion effects to your entire split-screen video. Switch off or on the audio in the split-screen, depending on your preferences.
Step 3: Tap on the ‘Advanced‘ tab for adjusting the starting points of every split-screen clip or a single clip. This will take you to the panel of Advanced Split Screen Edit.
Step 4: After editing your video, select the ‘Export‘ option for saving it to your Mac. There is also an option to share the split-screen video to social media platforms directly.
Whether you make a split-screen video with iMovie or with Filmora for Mac, adjust the video duration and add transitions to it.
Best Alternatives to How to Do Split Screen on iMovie
So, how to put multiple videos on one screen on iMovie? After going through the iMovie split-screen instructions, you may find the entire process a bit overwhelming.
In that case, it is better to look up some alternatives. If you are presenting a video to the audience, basic videos cannot engage them fully. To present comparisons during a presentation, it is better to split-screen. That’s why you need a split-screen video editing tool.
A split-screen is where you can put two or more screens together in a single frame, which means you can place multiple videos on one screen. But, how to do split-screen on iMovie? For creating a split-screen video, you need a split-screen video editing tool.
Today, you will come across many free split-screen video editors out there. Every tool is unique and works for different users having varying requirements.
So, it is better to assess your requirements and choose the right split-screen video editor. Now, let’s see how to put multiple videos on one screen on iMovie with some of the best tools listed below.
1. Adobe Premiere Pro
If you are looking for a better option for doing split-screen on iMovie, then go for Adobe Premiere Pro. The amazing thing about this tool is that video makers use this tool in the post-production procedure in Hollywood.
Apart from its split-screen capabilities, the tool is a wonderful video editor too. Adobe Premiere Pro comes with various features like fine-tuning audio, adjusting colors, and many more.
How to put multiple videos on one screen with Adobe Premiere Pro:
- On the interface, add the videos that you like to split-screen for.
- Now, trim your clips accordingly to ensure they run for the same duration.
- Switch off the top video so that you are left with just the bottom clip.
- Tap on ‘Effects‘ and choose the ‘Crop‘ tool.
- Adjust the position, scale, and crop the video according to your choice.
- Repeat the same steps with every clip in the sequence.
- Supports various video formats
- Features amazing Virtual Reality support for assisting users
- It can be integrated with various other Adobe products for efficient collaborative tasks
- Its free use lasts for just 30 days
- Not good for beginners
- High system wants
Lightworks is another amazing tool that can be used on how to do split-screen on iMovie. This tool comes with cross-platform functionality, where it can be used on Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Along with its split-screen capabilities, it offers various video editing tools. Also, users get access to support online throughout business hours.
How to put multiple videos on one screen with Lightworks:
- Initially, add your video tracks in Lightworks.
- From the ‘DVE‘ category, apply this DVE effect to the clips.
- Trim your videos to ensure they run for the same length.
- Repeat the process until you get the desired result.
- Great for beginners
- Simple to use
- Features social sharing
- Supports HD videos
- Group up to four video clips together
- Restricted split-screen panels
- Restricted output formats
- Have to buy its subscription after its free trial ends
3. Movavi Video Editor Plus
So, how to do split-screen on iMovie? It can be done better with its alternative like Movavi Video Editor Plus. This tool is compatible with both Windows and Mac. It is very simple to use. Plus, this split-screen video editing tool offers amazing professional-like videos.
Movavi Video Editor Plus lets you export videos to various output formats. Also, it features other video editing functions like adding music and applying transitions. After downloading and installing this video editor, it is pretty simple to split-screen with it.
How to put multiple videos on one screen with Movavi:
- Open the program on the system. Choose the ‘New Project‘ tab and add your video files to add the split-screen effect.
- Tap on ‘Add Files‘ for uploading the videos to this program. Drag and drop your videos to this Timeline.
- Choose one of your videos and drag it to the Timeline for creating an overlay video track—double-tap on the video on the overlay track for selecting the editing panel. Choose the position of your videos on this overlay track.
- Now, add other video clips.
- After that, adjust the position of your videos by dragging them on edge.
- Select the icon of ‘Mute Track‘ on the overlay. Tap on ‘Import‘ and choose music for adding background music from the in-built library. After the download process is over, drag and drop your audio file on the program’s Timeline.
- Choose ‘Export‘ when your video is properly ready. Select whether you like to save the split-screen video on your device or convert the same for using it online.
- Advanced features that deliver the quality production
- Professional yet simple to use
- Supports various popular file formats
- Merges as many videos as you like
- Limited free trial version
4. Final Cut Pro
Mac users can use this tool if they wonder how to put multiple videos on one screen on iMovie. With Final Cut Pro, users get access to various exceptional video editing tools and split-screen options. The primary features of this tool include motion graphics, filters, and special effects.
How to do split-screen with Final Cut Pro:
- Tap on your Timeline and choose ‘Add Video Tracks.’
- Select the number of videos that you like to split.
- Drag-drop your videos to the Timeline. Next, position the clips depending on your choice.
- Choose the first video for activating it and then, go to ‘Image and Wireframe‘ present in the Sequence tab.
- Tap on the blue box present on the right and drag your video for resizing it.
- Now, repeat the same process for every clip.
- Fast delivery and simple to use
- In-built tools available
- Organizing audio and video files is easier
- Its one-off subscription fee is steep
Shotcut is an open-source and free video editing tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS. It lets you split-screen if you are wondering about how to do split-screen on iMovie. As it is available for free, there is no registration required.
How to put multiple videos on one screen with Shotcut:
- Firstly, import your videos to the Media Bin and then drag them to Timeline.
- Press the Ctrl + I keys for adding or removing files.
- Choose the first video and select ‘Filters.’ From there, you can position and resize the clips.
- Now, repeat the process for other clips.
- Available for free on various platforms
- Add up to 4 videos with its presets
- Provides text overlay
- Complicated to use
6. DaVinci Resolve
So, how to put multiple videos on one screen on iMovie? With DaVinci Resolve, you can split-screen easily. This tool even supports 8K resolution videos. It comes in two versions – DaVinci Resolve and DaVinci Resolve Studio. The Studio version is available for one-off lifetime payment.
How to do split-screen with DaVinci Resolve:
- On your Timeline, import the videos.
- Choose the feature of split screening.
- Use crop and zoom features for resizing them.
- According to your choice, position your videos.
- Extensive media library
- Supports 8K resolution
- Can feature 4 videos at a time
- Supports Linux, Windows, and macOS
- Complicated interface
- High subscription free
7. VSDC Video Editor
VSDC Video Editor is great for both advanced and novice video editors. It supports various codecs and audio and video formats. It offers various features like split-screen, voice-over recording, capturing video, desktop screen, color correction, background remover, etc. The tool is compatible with Windows.
How to put multiple videos on one screen with VSDC:
- Add your clips to Timeline and move them to the left panel.
- Tap on ‘Coordinates‘ from the Properties tab for setting the dimensions.
- Select ‘Import‘ for adding other video clips. Ensure they are of similar duration and quality.
- Position the videos by spreading them evenly.
- Save your file.
- It comes in two versions
- Supports various file formats
- Easy-to-use interface
- Not for professionals
How to put multiple videos on one screen on iMovie? Perform this task with Fastreel. This program lets you split-screen online. It features a simple and clear interface. Fastreel comes with exciting editing features, such as rotating, adding text, looping, flipping, resizing, and reversing.
How to do split-screen with Fastreel:
- Go to the Fastreel website.
- Choose a template according to your videos.
- Tap on ‘Upload File‘ for uploading your files.
- There is an option to mute audio.
- Tap on ‘Export Result‘ for downloading the video.
- Easy to use
- Various templates available
- Efficient customer support
- Available for free
- Buy a subscription for removing its watermark
Kapwing provides you with reliable video editing features. Now, how to put multiple videos on one screen on iMovie? Use Kapwing. It is available for free online. With this tool, you can make collages, add GIFs, add images, add frames, and more.
How to do split-screen with Kapwing:
- Go to Kapwing from any web browser.
- Choose the preset of split-screen.
- Select ‘Replace‘ for uploading a video for each segment.
- Drag your clips for placing them correctly.
- Crop your videos if you want.
- Tap on ‘Done‘ and then ‘Publish‘ for saving the video.
- Available for free
- Supports four videos at a time
- No watermark
- A bit slow
Now, how to do split-screen on iMovie? Use this popular cloud-based tool. WeVideo features impeccable editing capabilities. It lets you split screen hassle-free.
How to put multiple videos on one screen with WeVideo:
- Go to the website of WeVideo and choose ‘Create a New.’
- Tap on ‘Video‘ and select ‘Let’s get started.
- Select a layout and choose ‘Start Editing.’
- Visit ‘My Media‘ and choose ‘Add‘ and then select ‘Browse to Select‘ for adding the videos.
- Drop your videos in the Timeline and position them in layers.
- After selecting a video, select ‘Open Clip Editor‘ and then reduce the video’s size using a scale slider.
- Once repositioned, hit ‘Save Changes.’ Repeat the same process for other videos.
- Tap on ‘Finish‘ and save your video. Choose the preferred settings and tap on ‘Export‘ for saving it.
- Free and easy to use
- Great for beginners
- Supports multiple videos
- Buy its subscription for removing the watermark
So, this is how to put multiple videos on one screen on iMovie in so many different ways. Choose the method that suits your requirements and needs. However, it is best to use the best alternative to iMovie. Wondershare Filmora is such a reliable tool.
Download this tool if you are wondering about how to do split-screen on iMovie. Now, enjoy its impeccable video editing features!