Do you wonder how to disable Windows Ink? Well, such knowledge would be handy for any Windows user. So, let’s go ahead and learn about this information.
Have you performed an update on your Windows OS lately? That means have you tried updating Windows to its 10th Anniversary Update? If that’s the case, you may occasionally notice a feature called Windows Ink Workspace. Well, what does it mean? What does it do? Is it necessary to have it in your OS? Let’s find it out. Also, we will explain how to disable Windows Ink if you don’t need that feature.
An introduction to Windows Ink Workspace
Before everything else, we should get substantial knowledge about Windows Ink Workspace and move forward. It is a new feature introduced to the 10th Anniversary Update. You can notice that this feature is represented as a pen-shaped icon. The purpose of this feature is to improve the overall functionality of a digital pen. In fact, the icon itself makes sense of what it represents. In simplest terms, thanks to this feature, you can use the digital pen with more flexibility and versatility. For instance, you can create sticky notes or draw on a whiteboard. If not, you can even draw on a whiteboard. Also, it gives you the option of taking screenshots through Sketchpad.
How can you enable Windows Ink Workspace?
Well, in order to use this specific feature, you are supposed to click on the icon in the taskbar. That means the icon that appears in the form of a pen.
Customizing your Windows Pen experience
It is always possible to customize the pen in your Windows Settings. In order to get it done, you should go to the “Settings” option first and choose “Devices.” After that, you should go to the option called “Pen.” Then, you will be able to see some quick actions performed for a single click or a double click. Also, the same feature allows you to configure the actions for the long-press as well.
Well, needless to say, that it features some good uses. However, there are some users who don’t want that feature. In other words, some individuals wonder how to disable Windows Ink in their OS due to some reason. If that’s the case with you, it is always possible to disable it with ease. Well, if you wonder how to disable Windows Ink, you can read the following paragraphs and learn it. In fact, there are two specific methods to get it done, and we will explain them below.
Method 1: How to disable Windows Ink using Group Policy
Here’s the first method for those who wonder how to disable Windows Ink if you like it. In fact, this method doesn’t work on Windows 10 Home version. So, those who have their PCs running on Windows 10 Home should try the next method. Mentioned below is how to disable Windows Ink using Group Policy.
- First of all, you should press the “Windows” and “R” keys on your keyboard simultaneously. This should be done in order to bring the “Run” window up. After that, you should enter the text “gpedit.msc” within the given field in the run utility. Then, you are supposed to hit the button labeled “OK” to proceed. If not, you can even hit the “Enter” key.
- Now, you will be directed to the Group Policy Window. After that, you are supposed to navigate to the path mentioned below.
“Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Ink Workspace“
Please check if you see two separate Ink Workspace entries. If yes, you will need to make the changes to the second option. Otherwise, you will not be able to disable the respective Windows Ink feature in your OS.
- Now, you can click on the option called “Allow Windows Ink Workspace” to proceed. That is located on the pane located in the right-hand.
- Now, you are supposed to select the option called “Enabled.” Then, you should choose to go with “Disabled” located in the drop-down that appears. It is found under the option called “Options.” You can then click on the option called “Apply” and hit “OK” to complete the process.
- That’s basically it. To make those changes to be activated, you should perform a restart on the PC. As a result, you won’t find Windows Ink Workspace in the taskbar. So, that’s a pretty convenient process, isn’t it?
Method 2: How to disable Windows Ink using the registry editor in your system
The second method is to make the changes with the assistance of the registry editor. That can eventually lead to various system errors that cannot be reversed. So, be sure that you follow the steps that are mentioned below with caution. Also, it is imperative to create a backup of the important data in your PC before proceeding. Such an approach can be considered a safety measure because if something goes wrong, you can retrieve data.
That said, please follow below simple guide in order to use registry editor for this purpose.
- As the first step, you are supposed to bring the “Run” utility up in your system. To get it done, you can press both “Windows” and “R” keys at the same time. You should then enter the text “Regedit” in the given space. After that, you can either press “OK” or hit “Enter” to proceed.
- The above steps will bring a new window under the label “Registry Editor.” You can then navigate to the path mentioned below.
Important: Can't you find the folder labeled "WindowsInkWorkspace"? If that's the case, you are supposed to create a new folder under the same name. Creating a new folder is a very simple process. You can easily perform a right-click on the option called "Microsoft Key." After that, you will see a new menu. Choose the option "New" in that respective menu. Then, choose "Key." This key should be named "WindowsInkWorkspace." After that, you are supposed to click on the button labeled "OK."
- You can now create the key under the name “AllowWindowsInkWorkSpace.” You should follow the steps below to get it done. After that, you should go ahead and click on the key labeled “WindowsInkWorkspace” to expand it. Then, perform a right-click on an empty space that is located on the right-hand side. Now, you are supposed to select the option labeled “DWORD (32-bit) Value” to proceed. You should then name the key with “AllowWindowsInkWorkspace.” Then, you should set the value of that respective key to 0. Then, to complete the process, you should click on the button labeled “OK” to proceed.
- Now, you can save the changes made to the system by performing a reboot. You will now be able to receive the result that can be acquired through the previous method. As mentioned before, this method is specifically helpful for those who have Windows 10 Home version.
As mentioned before, we always recommend you create a backup of your important data before trying any repairs. Also, it is exceptionally important to backup your data on a regular basis as a general habit. Such an approach will help you retrieve any important data upon a sudden system crash or any other error. You can even consider saving those backups in external drives as an extra precautionary method.
Well, that’s all about how to disable Windows Ink. As you may notice, it requires only a little bit of effort to make those changes. However, for any further questions related to this matter, we are always ready to help you. So, don’t hesitate to post a comment with your queries, and our experts will address them at their earliest.