Knowing how to convert exFAT to FAT32 is handy for pretty much any user.
If you wonder how to do that, you will find this article very handy. Also, we will explain a handy exFAT to the FAT32 converter.
Introduction to exFAT and FAT32
Before everything else, it is important to learn about exFAT and FAT32 file systems. Well, there are significant differences between these two file systems. There are many individuals who want to learn the differences. So, let’s learn about each of those varieties.
FAT32 is the shortened form for Fat Allocation Table. Well, FAT32 can be considered the most common file system used. This specific file format was introduced by Microsoft back in 1977.
It is a pretty older system, and FAT32 is compatible with many devices found today. You can find this specific file format in devices like USB flash, SD cards, and even SSD. It is compatible with a large range of portable devices.
Well, exFAT is the shortened form for the technology called Extended File Allocation Table. Just like the previous file format, exFAT too was introduced by Microsoft. That was in 2006. Well, this specific file format is used on USB flash drives as well as on SD cards. This format is pretty similar to the FAT32.
However, this file system doesn’t have the limitations that are found in the counterpart. In a nutshell, exFAT is considered to be the latest replacement for the FAT32 file system.
Below is a table that explains the characteristics of these two file systems in a simplified manner.
|Feature||FAT32 File System||exFAT File System|
|Compatible devices||It works pretty much on all the operating systems as well as gaming consoles. Also, it works on media players, USB devices, etc.||Although exFAT is compatible with FAT32, it may not be compatible with Android devices and some players.|
|Size limitations||4GB or less||No size limitation, and that’s why this format is ideal for storing a file of any size.|
|Speed of the file||FAT32 shows slowness in reading and writing data as opposed to exFAT.||exFAT is much faster compared to FAT32.|
There are many removable devices that come with either FAT32 or exFAT, based on how compatible they are. Even if FAT32 comes with some limitations, it has better compatibility with older devices and operating systems.
Therefore, you may need to convert exFAT to FAT32 in some cases. This is particularly true when it comes to compatibility. This is exactly why it would be so handy to learn about exFAT to FAT32 converter.
Convert exFAT to FAT32 on a Windows OS
Mentioned below are some of the most practical methods you can follow to convert exFAT to FAT32. You can go through these methods and find the most convenient way that matches your ability.
Method 1: Use File Explorer
File Explorer is a built-in tool that can be used to format your Flash Drives. With this tool, you can easily convert exFAT to FAT32. To do that, you should follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, press the Windows and E keys together to launch File Explorer.
- Then, search for the USB flash drive you intend to format. After that, you should perform right-click on it.
- Then, click on the option called “Format.” Be sure to choose the option “exFAT” in the list of file systems.
- Then, click on the button labeled “Start“.
Method 2: Use command prompt
Command Prompt (which is often known as CMD) is another tool that can be used to change file formats. However, to use this method, you are supposed to use some commands. Mentioned below is how to perform those commands.
- First, you are supposed to launch the Run dialog box by pressing the “Windows” and “R” keys simultaneously. Then, enter the text “diskpart” in it and hit the enter key.
- When you are in the CMD window, you should enter the following command lines. Be sure that you hit the enter key after entering each command.
List Disk [HIT ENTER]
Select disk n [HIT ENTER]
List partition [HIT ENTER]
Select partition m [HIT ENTER]
Format fs = “exFAT” [HIT ENTER]
Please note that the letter “n” represents the number of external drives. Also, “m” represents the number of partitions in the external drives.
- Now, the formatting process will start, and that won’t take long.
Method 3: Use Disk Management Tool
Windows Disk Management is a very handy built-in tool that is found in the OS as a built-in tool. It is offered to help you manage the hard disk partitions with ease and fast.
Although this may not be as efficient as a third-party professional tool, it is always worth giving a try. So, mentioned below is how to use Windows Disk Management Tool as an exFAT to FAT32 converter.
- First, please perform right-click on the start menu and choose the option called “Disk Management”.
- Then, you should choose the partition that is already partitioned with the FAT32 system. Just perform right-click on it and choose “Format.”
- Now, on the new page, you can see the option called “File System“. Change that to “exFAT” from “FAT32“. Click on the option called “OK“.
- You can format the process now, and it will make you lose the files stored in the drive. Therefore, it is highly recommended to create a backup of the data before proceeding with this step.
- Once you have done that, you can see that the disk is converted successfully.
Method 4: Use a Third-party Professional exFAT to FAT32 Converter
For many users, the above methods may work. On the other hand, some users may find no success with those methods. In that case, you might have to use a third-party tool to get rid of that issue. AOMEI Partition Assistant is one of those tools that can do the job with ease. So, if you are interested in learning how to convert exFAT to FAT32, follow the steps below.
Important: Please note that you should create a backup of the files before converting exFAT to FAT32. Otherwise, you will not be able to get back the data you lose during the formatting process. You can always use a third-party professional data backup tool to create backups efficiently.
Mentioned below is how to convert exFAT to FAT32 with ease.
- First, you should download AOMEI on your computer and install it properly. Then, please launch the application to see its main interface.
- In the main interface, you can choose the drive you intend to format. After that, you can right-click on it and choose “Format Partition“.
- When you are in the interface labeled “Format Partition,” you should choose “exFAT“. You can even change aspects like the “Cluster Size” as well as the “Partition Label.” Then, please click on the “OK“. Then, click on “Apply” to complete the formatting.
Converting a FAT32 Disk into NTFS on a macOS
If you are interested in learning how to convert a FAT32 disk into an NTFS system, here’s the guide. This guide is important for those using macOS or Linux operating systems.
- First, you should go to the “Applications” option and reach “Utilities“. After that, you should go to the option called “Disk Utility“.
- Then, in the newly opened interface, you can choose the drive that should be formatted.
- Choose the option called “Erase” and go to “exFAT” as the file type.
- Then, click on the option called “Erase“. That will start the formatting process.
Convert FAT32 to exFAT on a Linux system
Do you want to convert a FAT32 system to exFAT and use a Linux system? If that’s the case, you should follow the steps that are mentioned in the below sections.
- First, go to the command line and view all the drives that are attached to the system. To do that, enter the text sudo fdisk -I.
- After that, you should select the specific drive that should be formatted to a different file format. Then, you are supposed to enter the text sudo wipefs -a /dev/sdb. That will begin the process of creating a new file system under the “exFAT” format.
- Now, you are supposed to follow the onscreen instructions and choose the option called “exFAT“. That should be chosen from the message labeled “HPFS/NTFS/exFAT“.
- Now, you should press the key “w,” and that will synchronize the disk partitions.
- You can enter the text sudo mkfs.”exFAT” -n hardDisk /dev/sdb1, and that will format the drive. The end result is the exFAT partition.
Just like we have mentioned at the beginning, you can use different ways to convert exFAT to FAT32. You may follow the instructions carefully to finish the job as expected without any trouble.
No matter which method is used, you are supposed to create a backup before formatting the disk. Otherwise, you are likely to lose all the data without being able to recover them. Also, you may use a third-party professional tool to create partitions, particularly if you are a novice.
A tool like AOMEI Partition Assistant can help you create partitions even if your hard disks are write-protected. Also, it works on corrupted hard disks. Please let us know if you have further queries related to the exFAT to FAT32 converter. Good luck!