As an iOS user, you can use iTunes to back up the data on your iOS device. With that said, do you know how to backup WhatsApp to iTunes? With this article, we explain how to get it done and make your WhatsApp data safely available in iTunes.
Part 1: Can you backup WhatsApp to iTunes?
As an iOS device user, you already know about iTunes and its basic functionalities. In fact, iTunes is an official tool that is provided by Apple. The main purpose of iTunes is to backup different types of applications. In addition to that, it can serve different purposes when used with advanced techniques.
Many individuals want to know if iTunes can create backups of data on their WhatsApp. Well, the simplest answer to this is, “Yes, it is possible!“. Some individuals think that there is no other way except iCloud to create WhatsApp data, and it is WRONG! iTunes can be used to create your WhatsApp data too, and the rest of the paragraphs describes it.
Besides, click here to fix Unfortunately WhatsApp Has Stopped error with ease.
Part 2: Backup WhatsApp to iTunes – explained
In fact, creating a backup of your WhatsApp data using iTunes is a pretty fast process. There is nothing to worry about any storage restrictions when you use iTunes. That means it allows you to create a backup regardless of its size. This should be great news for iPhone users who are concerned about their storage limits. In addition to that, iTunes allows you to access local storage as well as iCloud to store data.
Basically, there are two ways to backup WhatsApp to iTunes. As per the first method, you can use a wire. The second method is wireless. For your benefit, we are going to explain both of those methods.
01. Backup your WhatsApp data to iTunes through a cable
It is needless to say that this method is very fast and easy as we are using a cable. To get it done, you should find an original data cable. Well, you should follow the steps mentioned below to get it done through iTunes.
- First of all, you should install the latest version of iTunes on the computer.
- Then, you should connect the device to your PC and wait patiently for a while.
- Once iTunes detects your iOS device, you can proceed to the next step.
- You should click on the tab labeled ‘Device‘ and choose the respective device. If it is the only device connected to the PC, it will be detected automatically.
- Now, you will be able to see a tab called ‘Summary‘ as well. Just select it.
- There will be two options to save the backup file you create with iTunes. You can either go for iCloud or local storage. If your iCloud account has enough space to accommodate your WhatsApp backup, you can choose it. If there is no space, you can subscribe to more space. On the other hand, you can choose local storage and create your backup there. To do that, you should only go for the option called ‘This Computer.’
- Then, you can press the option called ‘Backup Now‘ and begin the process.
- Wait for some time patiently until the backup is created.
02. Backup WhatsApp to iTunes using the wireless method
As we mentioned before, there is a wireless way too to backup WhatsApp to iTunes. With this method, however, you will still need the assistance of a cable to initiate the connection. Once the connection is initiated, you can proceed to create the backup with a wireless connection.
Mentioned below are the steps to take to backup WhatsApp to iTunes using this method.
- First, you should install the latest version of iTunes on your computer and run it.
- Make sure that you connect the iPhone with the same computer and allow it to transfer data.
- Go to the tab labeled ‘Summary,’ and you can find an option ‘Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi.’ Then, you should check the option (select it) and save the changes you have made.
- You can now disconnect the iPhone from the cable, which is connected to the PC.
- Now that a wireless connection mode is enabled, you can easily synchronize your device with iTunes. You don’t have to connect it with the PC anymore to transfer data.
- You can click on the option labeled ‘Select‘ and then go to the ‘General‘ option. Click on the ‘iTunes Wi-Fi Sync‘ option and sync data.
- After pressing the button labeled ‘Sync Now,’ you will see that iTunes will begin the backup.
03. The limitations you will experience when creating a backup through iTunes
It is true that creating backups through iTunes is free of charge. But, with iTunes, you may experience some disadvantages as well. Mentioned below are those flaws associated with iTunes.
- iTunes is a generic app offered by Apple. As a result, it doesn’t come with a dedicated solution to backup WhatsApp data.
- iTunes doesn’t allow you to create multiple backups simultaneously. In other words, it overwrites the existing backup when you create a new backup.
- This app doesn’t perform any cross-platform functionality. For instance, it cannot restore an existing iPhone backup data to an Android device.
Part 3: Restoring a WhatsApp backup created using iTunes
Well, there is no official feature in iTunes to restore your WhatsApp data selectively. As an example, you cannot restore only the chat messages through iTunes. In that case, you will have to restore everything or restore nothing at all. Well, that can be so frustrating for a user unless they find a way to restore data selectively.
The good news, however, is that it is possible to do it if you find the correct tool. So, finding the best tool to do it should be the next challenge. Don’t worry, we have don’t the research work for you and found the best tool to restore selective data.
The tool we used to restore selective data from your iTunes backup is iMyFone iTransor. In fact, iTransor grants you more freedom when it comes to restoring backups from iTunes.
To restore selective data from an iTunes backup, you may follow the steps mentioned below. In this example, we explain how to restore WhatsApp messages.
- As the first step, go to the iMyFone official website and get iTransor downloaded. Then, install it and launch it on the computer.
- Click on the option called ‘Restore Backup to Device‘ from the available options. You can see that iTransor shows all the iTunes backups that are already on your PC.
- You can now choose a backup where your WhatsApp messages are.
- Then, click on the option called ‘Next.’ You can then see two options called ‘Restore Full Backup‘ or ‘Restore Partial Backup.’ Choose ‘Restore Partial Backup‘ because you are going to restore only a part of the backup (messages).
- There are different options to choose from. In this case, we should choose WhatsApp. You can choose either ‘Preview & Restore‘ or ‘Directly Restore‘ to move to the next step.
- Make sure that you choose WhatsApp only when it comes to choosing the data type.
- After choosing the data, you will have to press the option called ‘Merge & Replace‘ or ‘Fully Replace.’ Then, wait for a couple of minutes so the process will be completed smoothly.
It is needless to mention how useful this app is when you have to restore parts of backups. Well, mentioned below are some of the obvious benefits you can experience with these apps.
- iTransor can restore audio messages, videos, and any attachments in your WhatsApp data apart from text messages.
- You don’t have to restore the entire set of data. Instead, you can simply preview and restore iTunes selectively.
- iTunes doesn’t overwrite the previous backups you have created.
- The user-friendly interface makes the data transferring faster and efficient.
Part 4: What is the best alternative to backup WhatsApp?
As you already know, iTunes has some flaws that can annoy any iPhone user. So, it is better to learn about an alternative way to create WhatsApp backups. In this case, you can seek the assistance of iMyFone iTransor for WhatsApp and create backups effortlessly. Please note that iMyFone iTransor and iMyFone iTransor for WhatsApp are two different applications.
With iTransor, you can experience the basic functions. However, if you prefer to use advanced features, you should choose iTransor for WhatsApp. In a nutshell, iTransor for WhatsApp is a one-stop solution when it comes to creating and restoring backups.
Here’s how to create a backup using iTransor for WhatsApp.
- Download and install iTransor for WhatsApp.
- Connect your device to the same computer and trust it on the device.
- Wait for the program to detect your device.
- Press the option called ‘Backup.’
- Please note that the duration will vary depending on the size of the backup.
- Once you see the message called ‘WhatsApp Backup Successfully,’ the process is completed.
Benefits of iTransor for WhatsApp
- It supports all the data types.
- It works on both iOS and Android platforms.
- Transfer data between Android and iOS devices (cross-platform).
- It doesn’t overwrite existing backups.
- It assures the safety of your data.
Now you know how to backup WhatsApp to iTunes and restore them. In addition to that, we explained a more effective and powerful way to create your backups. If you have any doubts related to this matter, leave a comment below, and we will attend to it.