“A device attached to the system is not functioning” is an error message that can frustrate any Windows user. This error message appears when you try to connect a USB device to the system. When such things happen when you need to copy some important files to the computer, you get panicked. But the good news is that this article comprises the solutions to it. So, keep reading and learn what to do when this error message appears on your computer.
There is more than one way to fix this issue. So, if one solution doesn’t work for you, move to the other. Also, some methods are very easy, while others may require slightly more time and effort. That said, we explain the methods below to solve this error.
Solution 1: Reconnect the device if “A device attached to the system is not functioning” issue occurs
As the first solution, we recommend you to try a very basic fix and see if it works. Sometimes, USB storage and your computer may not be able to establish a solid connection. It can be due to an improper connection to the USB port. If not, it could be an issue related to the cable that is used to connect the two. As a result, the computer will display the error message, “a device attached to the system is not functioning.” Sometimes, the cable or the device itself can get loosened and not properly seated to the port.
So, just check if the connection is firmly established in terms of the hardware. The best approach is to disconnect the device from the computer and reconnect it firmly. Once reconnected, you can check if the device can communicate with the PC and transfer data. If not, you can use a different USB cable or a different USB port on the same computer.
Solution 2: Restart your PC and check if the issue is fixed
Sometimes, your computer’s OS can experience some glitches and prevent some functions from working smoothly. “A device attached to the system is not functioning” is one of those issues that could emerge. If that is the case, the fix is very easy. All you have to do is to restart your PC and see if the error is gone. Although this method sounds very simple, it works for many individuals. Also, trying this method is not difficult at all. So, it is always worthy of giving it a shot and seeing if the issue is gone. Since you all are familiar with restarting a computer, we don’t want to explain the steps. However, before a restart, you should save the ongoing work and exit them properly.
Solution 3: Format the storage device to fix ‘A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning’
If your USB storage device is not formatted properly, that could be a reason for various errors. It could result in “a device attached to the system is not functioning” error as well. If that is the case with you, the only way to overcome it is by formatting it. In order to get it done, you should format your USB drive without leaving any room for error. To get it done, you should follow the steps listed below. Before you format the device, however, it is strongly recommended to create a backup of its data. Otherwise, the data will be gone forever. So, proceed to the steps after creating a backup of your data.
- Launch the File Explorer window on your computer. To do that, you can use “Windows” + “E” on your keyboard at once.
- Now, you should right-click on the USB device. When a popup menu appears, you should choose the option called “Format.”
- You can then configure the format settings and choose the option called “Start.”
- Now, you can try to use the USB device and test it by transferring some files. Check if the error persists.
Please note that this method is more suitable when there is no error associated with the PC.
By the way, if you are experiencing the Device Was Not Migrated Due to Partial or Ambiguous Match or the The USB storage device is not connected PS4 issue, click to fix them easily right now.
Solution 4: Reinstall the driver or update it
On some devices, the error can come up as a result of the wrong device driver. If not, it can trigger due to outdated drivers as well. If that is the case, you can either install the correct driver once again or simply update it. And if the a device attached to the system is not functioning issue is triggered due to a driver-related problem, one of the above options should fix it.
Basically, there are two methods to consider when it comes to playing with drivers. You can either choose the manual method or get the assistance of a professional tool. Those who have enough time and knowledge to play with drivers can choose the manual way. If not, you can choose to go with a professional tool and get it done easily and faster.
Manual method to update the driver
If you prefer the manual method, mentioned below are some important points.
If you use Windows 10, you can go for manual updates related to various drivers on your system. For instance, you can choose to update network adapters, printers, video cards, printers, etc. in addition to UBS storage. Generally, these drivers tend to update automatically. However, it may not go as smoothly as you expect all the time. In that case, you will have to do it manually. Please follow below in order to update the drivers using the manual method.
- Go to the search box located on the Task Bar. Now, you should type the text “Device Manager.” Once the “Device Manager” icon appears, open it.
- You can select a category now with a list of devices. After that, navigate to the device you intend to update and right-click on it.
- Then, select the option called “Update Driver.”
- After that, you should choose the option called “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
- If your Windows cannot find a new driver to the selected item, you should take the extra step. In this case, you should visit the official website of the manufacturer and search for the respective driver. Based on the manufacturer, the instructions can vary. So, carefully read those instructions and download the driver to update the device and fix the issue.
Manual method to reinstall the driver
You can also consider to reinstall the existing driver and fix potential issues on that. Mentioned below are the steps you should follow to reinstall the drivers and see if the a device attached to the system is not functioning issue is gone.
- Once again, go to the “Device Manager” by typing the text “Device Manager” in the search box.
- Once the device manager is opened, you should navigate to the driver you want to uninstall. After finding the respective device, right-click on it. A popup menu will open now, so you should choose the option called “Uninstall.”
- Once the uninstallation is completed, reboot your computer.
- When the computer restarts, Windows OS will try to complete the reinstallation and fix the error.
Use Driver Easy to update the drivers easily
As you can notice, the above is a pretty complex process with a good probability of confusion. Also, some drivers may not be easy to find. Also, you may end up downloading the wrong version of the driver or downloading malware. Moreover, it is a time-consuming process. The best alternative to overcome all those burdens is using professional software like Driver Easy. In simplest terms, downloading and installing drivers through Driver Easy is exceptionally convenient and speedy.
If you use Driver Easy, you will not download malware because it extracts the drivers from official sites only. So, to keep the errors at bay and save your time, you can use Driver Easy.
Mentioned below are the steps to follow when downloading the drivers through Driver Easy.
Important: you can download and install the drivers using Driver Easy Pro or Free version. With the Pro version, the process gets only easier (with two clicks).
- Download Driver Easy on your computer and install it.
- Launch Driver Easy and click on “Scan Now.” Driver Easy will perform a scan on the PC and detect potentially troublesome drivers.
- You can now click on the option called “Update” (which is next to the USB device). It will download the most appropriate and latest drivers. If you are using the Pro version, you can find the “Update All” button. As a result, it will download and update all the drivers at once to save time.
- If you want to reinstall the driver, go to the option called “Tools” and go to “Driver Uninstall.”
- Then, go to the device you wish to uninstall and hit “Uninstall.”
That’s it. This should fix “a device attached to the system is not functioning” issue without troubling you anymore.
Solution 5: Use SFC scan with DISM to fix ‘A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning’
Here’s another method to fix this issue. This method is more suitable if there are corrupted system files in your OS. In this case, we will be using System File Checker (SFC) scan and Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management) DISM. Here are the steps.
- Click on the “Start” button & enter “CMD.” Right-click on “Command Prompt” & choose “Run as Administrator.”
- Type “sfc /scannow” and hit “Enter“.
- Now, enter the text “dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth“. Hit “Enter“.
- Restart the PC.
Also, let’s find out how to reset admin password Windows 10 with ease.
If you are yet to succeed even after trying all those methods, the last resort is to restore Windows. This means you should restore the PC to a point where it worked fine. If not, you can use your Windows Installation Media and do a complete reinstallation of Windows. Hopefully, that should fix the “a device attached to the system is not functioning” error.