You may run into Windows 10 error code 0xc0000098 while booting the computer system. It becomes frustrating to encounter the same error code again and again on your PC. It is intimidating to get stuck on a black/blue screen if you are trying to boot your computer system, update Windows operating system, install some software, etc. But, no worries, this is a common error, and you can fix it by yourself.
If you encounter with 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error code and trying to find the solution to fix it, then you have arrived at the right place. In this article, we have covered the reasons for this Blue Screen of Death error and mentioned solutions that will help you fix this problem. Read on to know the different methods of fixing the 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error code.
What is the 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error code?
When you start your computer, Boot Configuration Data (BCD) provides essential information to load all the data in the operating system. However, when Boot Configuration Data becomes corrupted, it causes Windows 10 error code 0xc0000098 to occur on your computer system. There are two reasons which cause this error.
1. The first reason is mentioned above; when BCD stops loading data in the operating system, you encounter this error. This might happen due to power outages, disc errors, boot viruses, or manual boot processes.
2. The second reason is the incompatible hard disc drive.
How to fix the 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error?
This Windows error is caused due to many reasons. Below we have mentioned all the possible reasons and their solution. If you do not know the exact cause, then try every solution given below and find out which one works for you.
Solution 1: Try to build BCD manually to fix 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error
It is not possible to work on your computer normally due to a BSOD error. You must use a Windows recovery drive to solve this problem. To do so, install USB media or a DVD/CD. Following are the steps that will guide you through the installation of new bootable media and reboot your computer system.
Step 1: Prepare bootable media
If you have not installed bootable media, you need to prepare the media on your own. Read on to know the process of preparing bootable media.
2. Download the bootable media and save it.
3. Double-click on the Media Creation Toolbar to launch the operation.
4. Choose the second option, ‘Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC.’
5. Choose the configurations like language, architecture, and edition for the system.
6. Select your preferred bootable media. In case you are choosing a USB flash drive, make sure to use at least 8GB of space. Plus, the flash drive needs to be blank.
7. Follow the instructions shown on your computer system and complete the setup.
Step 2: Fix your boot order
After starting your computer in the BIOS setup, you must change the boot order in your preferred installation media. Plus, if you are using a flash drive, then make sure to select ‘Removable Devices‘ as the first boot drive. Follow the below steps to fix your boot order.
1. Restart your computer.
2. When Windows starts the booting process, hit the function key (F12, or F2, or F8, or Esc, or Delete keys) to enter into BIOS setup. The function keys vary in every computer.
3. After entering into BIOS setup windows, visit the ‘Boot‘ sector and select ‘CD‘ or ‘Removable Devices‘ as the first boot choice.
4. Click ‘Save‘ and exit from the Window.
Step 3: Use a USB flash drive or Repair disc to boot the system
Follow the below guide to boot your system with installation, or USB flash drive, or repair disc to fix 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error code.
1. Use USB/DVD/CD as bootable media to boot your computer system.
2. Go to the ‘Window Setup‘ menu and press the ‘Next‘ button.
3. Choose the option ‘Repair your computer‘ in the below-left corner.
4. Click on the ‘Troubleshoot‘ option, then ‘Advance Option,’ and finally ‘Command Prompt.’
5. In the Command Prompt window, type the below commands and press ‘Enter‘ after typing each command.
- bootrec /scanos
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
If the commands properly work, type ‘Y‘ and hit ‘Enter.’
After typing the above commands, close the window of the Command Prompt and try rebooting your system. Check whether the 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error code persists.
Solution 2: Startup Repair to Fix 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error
Startup Repair is a tool that helps you to diagnose common errors and repair them. To complete the process successfully, you might need to run this tool two or three times. Below is the complete guide to carry out this operation.
1. Use CD/DVD/USB as the bootable media to boot the system.
2. Choose the option ‘Repair your computer‘ in the below-left corner.
3. Click on the ‘Troubleshoot‘ option, then ‘Advance Option,’ and finally ‘Startup Repair.’
4. The Startup Repair tool will scan all the possible errors in your computer system and automatically repairs them.
5. If it fails to do so, run Startup Repair again.
Solution 3: Run System File Checker to fix 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error
The corrupted or missing system files are one of the reasons that cause Windows 10 error code 0xc0000098. To fix this problem, run System File Checker. It searches the missing or corrupted files and fixes them automatically. The below guide will help you to do so.
1. Go to ‘Command Prompt‘ and type the following command. Do not forget to press ‘Enter‘ after each command.
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c: \ /offwindir=c: \windows
2. After that, wait till it scans the issues and fixes them.
Solution 4: CHKDSK to fix 0xc0000098 Windows 10 error
CHKDSK is an acronym for ‘check disk,’ which helps you to check disc and diagnose system file errors. To carry out this operation, follow the below guide.
1. Use installation media to boot your device and open ‘Command Prompt.’
2. Type the following command and hit ‘Enter.’
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
‘C‘ denotes the drive where you have installed Windows. If you have used another drive, type that drive name. The letter ‘R‘ is directed to search error, if any. Whereas the letter ‘X‘ is the volume that requires scanning.
3. CHKDSK will find the error and automatically fix it.
4. Close the Command Prompt window and restart your system in order to check whether the Windows 10 error code 0xc0000098 persists. If the error does not occur then, the Window system will load normally.
Also, if you are experiencing the LogonUI.exe error, here are the top fixes for you.
Solution 5: Install new Windows
If the above solution does not solve Windows 10 error code 0xc0000098 code error, then consider installing a new version of the Windows operating system or reinstall the same version of Windows. This will save your computer system from unwanted errors and clean the system. Follow the below steps to reinstall the Windows system on your PC.
- Use bootable media like CD/DVD/USB and boot your computer system and click on ‘Next.’
- Choose the ‘Install Now‘ option and click on the ‘I accept‘ box. Then, click on the ‘Next‘ option and choose the ‘Custom: Install Windows Only (advance)‘ option.
- Delete all the partitions from the disc where you want to install the Window system. Select the partitions that you want to remove from the disc and click the ‘Delete‘ key. In the notification window, press ‘OK‘ to delete the drives/partitions.
- Follow the same process for every drive except the drive that is denoted as Unallocated Space.
- Then press ‘Next.’
- Choose keyboard layout or language and delete external storage drive. Click on ‘OK,’ and your system will restart again.
- This will help you to clean your system and run your device smoothly.
We have provided you a basic solution to fix Windows 10 error code 0xc0000098. This is a common error, and many people encounter it while rebooting their system. The above solutions are enough to fix this problem. If you do not exactly know the cause of the error tries to use every method mentioned above. If you have more questions regarding this topic, leave a comment below and let us know.