One of the best things about this error is that it is not a BSOD error. Blue screen of Death error, most of the time occurs due to hardware failure. But the code here 0xc0000005 doesn’t fall into that circle.
It is a common error that PC users face after installing windows for the first time on their computer or updating the windows.
Most of the users have reported seeing the 0xc0000005 error code after updating the Windows version to the latest number before we dive down to the methods that you need to follow to fix the 0xc0000005 on the system.
First, we have to find what exactly the 0xc0000005 error is? The reason why this error shows up on our computer is out of the blue.
Once we get to know the reason behind this error, we can take proper steps to control the error, so the possibility of the error appearing in the future would be below.
The Reasons for 0xc0000005 Error
● Failed Windows Installation
Sometimes 0xc0000005 occurs after a failed installation of the windows. If the windows files are corrupted, then you would see the error right away on the system. Most of the time, it will appear while you are installing the windows in your system.
Here you will see the error code 0xc0000005 with a message saying, “Windows Installation encountered an unexpected error“.
● Access Violation
As the name of the error implies, it is about accessing a location in the system. If a program in Windows makes an attempt to access the location from data, that is not assigned. Then this would result in the code 0xc0000005.
Here the error can be blamed on the registry issue; if the software doesn’t have any right to access the location that it wants, then it would produce 0xc0000005 with a message “Exception: Access violation error“.
● Launch of Application
This is the place where you will see this error all the time. When you try to launch an application, you will see, “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)” error.
When you launch a software, or a video game .exe from the shortcut on the main screen of your computer. This is the most common way people face this error in their system.
Now that you know about how this error pops up in the reason, and the various methods it uses to get the message to appear on your screen. Now we have to focus on the solution for the error.
PS: If you are bothered with the problems of the 0xc00d36c4 video error code, click to fix them now.
Fix 0xc0000005 Error With Ease
Here are the methods that you can try to fix the error code 0xc0000005 from your computer without resorting to installing windows again. The chances are you are going to face the same error code 0xc0000005 again when you reinstall the windows.
Besides, click here to fix the 0x0000007b Windows error quickly.
Method 1: Swapping RAM
You need to check on your RAM. The way you can do that is by swapping the ram from one slot to another. To see if the error 0xc0000005 still persists on your system.
If that doesn’t fix the issue, then you can turn on the computer with one RAM, instead of two. Then you will have an easier time pinpointing the error on the RAM. If you are not facing the error, then one of the RAM is damaged.
Method 2: Registry
The corrupted registry can create a lot of issues on your computer. 0xc0000005 is one of the issues that get created by the failed and corrupted registry. There are plenty of ways you can try to fix the corrupted registry file on your system.
While you can reinstall or restore the system registry files, that will result in losing all of your precious data.
But there is a way you can modify the registry file without making some drastic changes to it. While changing or doing anything with the registry will be a little complex, if you follow all the instructions, you will have an easier time managing or correcting the registry file.
- First, you need to open up Run; you can press Windows + R at the same time to launch it.
- Here type in Regedit, then hit Enter.
- This will open up the registry editor. Don’t be afraid. All you have to do is to go to a specific location in the registry editor. “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_Dlls“
- Once you get to the AppInit_Dlls, double click on the LoadAppInit_DLLs, and then enter the value 1 to 0.
- Press ok to save the changes. Then hit restart on your computer.
If this method didn’t seem to work for you, then move on to the next one on the line.
Method 3: Fix 0xc0000005 Error by System File Checker
Windows features plenty of tools that can help you get rid of a lot of errors that you are facing in your system. Before you start thinking about getting a third-party app to solve your problem, you can use these tools to fix the problem.
One of the best tools that come with the Windows SFC checker or as it is known as System File Checker, handling the software is easy. And you don’t have to go through plenty of instruction manuals to figure out how to use it.
Steps You Need to Follow to Fix 0xc0000005 Through SFC
- First, you need to open the command prompt with administrator privileges
- To do that, you need to go to the start, then type in “cmd“, once you see the CMD on the list, click on Run as administrator.
- Once you open the Command Prompt, here you have to type in ‘sfc /scannow‘
- This will begin the process of scanning your entire system for failed or corrupted files in your system.
- Once the system checker finds the error files, it will remove them from your system right away.
Method 4: Data Execution Prevention
Here is another inbuilt Windows tool that can help you with the error 0xc0000005 on your system. This tool helps your system be protected from any virus or any security threats that have the potential of damaging your system files.
The files or the format that are not compatible with the Data Execution Prevention can cause the 0xc0000005 error on your system. Luckily, windows also allow you to turn off the DEP in your system. Tuning the tool off can help you with your problem.
Steps You Need to Follow to Make That Happen:
- Open Run, by pressing Windows + R.
- Here type in Sysdm.cpl, then hit Enter.
- Now make your way to the Advanced tab, under the tab go to Settings.
- Here you will find Data Execution Prevention, click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
- Click on the Add button to customize the software that doesn’t have to go through that. You can select the program the .exe file that is causing the 0xc0000005 error. Then click on Ok.
- Once you are done with all the steps, hit Restart.
Method 5: Updating the Drivers
In a more manual way, you have to select the device that needs updating to the latest version, so it can run properly without anything slowing them down. You need to go to the device manager option.
Select the device that needs updating, by clicking on each of the devices, then going to the driver panel of those devices. This will consume plenty of time on your end. That is why many people consider getting an automatic driver update software to handle all the problems.
One of the best ways to do that is by going for Driver Easy software. All you need to do is download the software, and let the software take control over your drivers.
- First, you need to download the software.
- The second would be to run the software. Here you will see a big Scan Now button. This will begin the scanning of all of the devices installed in your system and the drivers required for the device to run effectively.
- After the scanning, you will get the option to install the latest compatible driver to the hardware that you have installed.
- That’s it. This will resolve the 0xc0000005 error on your system.
0xc0000005 is one of those that will pop out of nowhere on a computer without giving out any sign of a problem in your system. It can be very difficult to find a real solution to the problem or track down its origin. But if you go through all the methods mentioned in the list, then you will find the perfect solution that will work out for you.
There is a way to prevent 0xc0000005 from popping up on the screen. Is by making sure the computer is secure from all threat that always comes out of the internet and bad downloads from drivers.