There are many users who experience 0x80070070 errors in their Windows OS. In fact, error 0x80070070 can trigger when you try to perform an update for your Windows operating system. But the good news is that this article explains how to fix this error. So, go ahead and learn how to fix it.
Technically, there are several versions of the 0x80070070 error. And, all of them appear when your computer doesn’t have enough amount of space for an update. Regardless of the version of error 0x80070070, the following articles will explain how to get it fixed.
What triggers error 0x80070070?
Apart from lack of storage space, there are a couple of other reasons that can trigger this error. Mentioned below are those errors you would notice.
- You do not have enough memory or other resources in your computer to support the upgrade.
- Your computer is infected with a virus or other malware variety.
- The operating system of the respective computer has a corrupted or a damaged registry key.
Simultaneous to the error message, you will see that the computer prevents from operating smoothly. That means you will not be able to perform the tasks that are mentioned below.
- Your computer won’t be able to install potential updates that are available for the OS.
- Whenever you try an update, that will be halted and receive an error message.
- It doesn’t let you add newer applications to the system.
- If the system has malware or viral infection, that might damage the user files, media files, etc. Also, it might damage some of the system files.
Now that you have a better idea about the type of error. Let’s move to the solutions. In the following paragraphs, you will find the solutions that are practical. You can try applying those solutions and see if your PC is back to normal.
Solutions to try if you experience 0x80070070 error
From this point onwards, we will explain the most practical solutions you can try to fix the 0x80070070 error.
01. Use Disk Cleanup to get more free space
As you may already know, error 0x80070070 can appear due to a lack of free space. So, it is always better to clean up the space in your drive and see if it works. Before proceeding with this method, however, it is important to check the amount of space remaining. If the space is almost full, it is compulsory to perform a disk cleanup. So, assume that your hard disk is full, and let’s learn how to clean it up.
So, if you want to clean the system drive, you should use the tool called “Disk Cleanup Tool.” Mentioned below is how to perform a cleanup.
- First, you should go to the “Start Manu” and search for the option called “Explorer.” Then, you should go ahead and find the option called “This PC” to proceed. Then, perform a right-click on the C drive and choose “Properties.”
- After that, please choose the “Disk Cleanup” option.
- You will be able to see a different Window now. In that, you can see a range of different options, and you can choose them to clean them up. For instance, you will see error logs, recycle bin, temp files, and so on. Be sure that you select all those options.
- Once the options are selected, you can click on OK to proceed to the cleanup process.
- After that, you should check if the error 0x80070070 is persisting.
02. Free up your system using System Sense
Do you get error 0x80070070 when you perform Windows 10 Creators Update? If so, you are supposed to go to use the inbuilt tool called Storage Sense to fix it. Please follow up below simple guide to use System Sense and fix the 0x80070070 error.
- First, you should launch “Settings” and click on the option called “System” to proceed. Then, go to the option called “Storage.”
- When you are under the option called “Storage Sense,” choose “Change how we free up space.
- Under that, you will find a couple of toggle buttons that should be activated. In this case, just click on them and activate.
- Then, click on the button labeled “Clean Now” to proceed.
03. Delete the temporary files in your system
In some cases, your system can experience various troubles because of temporary files gathered over a period. 0x80070070 can be one of those issues. Anyway, getting rid of old temporary files is a good step forward for the smooth performance of your PC. You can follow the steps below and delete the temporary files.
- First, you should go to “Settings.” Then, click on the option called “System” and then proceed to “Storage.”
- After that, choose the primary drive (C:) for instance.
- Now, click on the option called “Temporary Files.”
- You can now choose the files that should be erased.
Please note that temporary files can include everything like apps, downloads, recycle bin, installation, etc.
- As the final step, you should click on the option called “Remove Files.”
That’ll do the trick! You can restart the PC and see if error 0x80070070 is persisting.
04. Perform a reset on Windows Update Components
There are instances in which Windows Update Components get corrupted and create various errors. And, 0x80070070 is one of those error codes. So, if you notice error 0x80070070, that too could be due to corrupted Windows Update components. In this case, you should perform a reset on it and see if it fixes this issue. You should do it manually.
Well, you will have to follow the steps mentioned below and get the Windows Update Component reset.
- First of all, you are supposed to launch a command prompt window along with administrative privileges. In order to get this, you should perform a right-click on the Windows button. Then, you are supposed to choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- Once the command line interface is open, you can enter a couple of commands. Be sure that you enter the commands one line by one and hit the “Enter” key after each line.
net stop wuauserv [HIT ENTER]
net stop cryptSvc [HIT ENTER]
net stop bits [HIT ENTER]
net stop msiserver [HIT ENTER]
- Once you have done that, you are supposed to change the name of a couple of folders. The folders are “SoftwareDistibution” and “Catroot2“. In order to do that, you can follow the commands below in the CMD window. Just like the previous option, you should hit the “Enter” key.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old [HIT ENTER]
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old [HIT ENTER]
- As the final step, you will have to restart the stopped services once again. In order to do that, you should enter the following commands.
net start wuauserv [HIT ENTER]
net start cryptSvc [HIT ENTER]
net start bits [HIT ENTER]
net start msiserver [HIT ENTER]
- That’s it. You can exit the CMD window. You are supposed to enter the command “Exit” and hit enter. Once you have done that, you can restart the PC. With this, you may be able to overcome error 0x80070070.
05. Perform a malware scan
Your system can experience a variety of errors in the event of a malware infection. 0x80070070 error could be one of them. So, in this case, you will have to scan your system for potential malware infections. Well, there can be various malware scanners for you to find if you perform a simple search. However, you are supposed to choose a good scanner based on the reviews and ratings. Once the scan is completed, you can restart the PC and see if the issue is solved.
06. Fix 0x80070070 error using Media Creation Tool
If you have not found success with any of those methods, you can try this one as well. In fact, many users have found this method to be successful.
Mentioned below is how to fix error 0x80070070 using Media Creation Tool.
- Download Media Creation Tool as the first step.
- Then, you should go to the option called “Upgrade this PC now” to proceed. Click on the option called “Next,” and that will take you to the next window. That will download the files, so you should wait for a while.
- After that, choose the option called “Keep Personal Files and Apps.” Click on the option called “Next.”
- Then, you can allow the installation one by one.
- Once the process is completed, you can restart the PC and see if the issue is gone.
What is the most efficient method to fix error 0x80070070?
If you have tried the above steps and yet to succeed, here’s an option you should try. In fact, this is the most efficient method that can be found in the market today. Even if you are a novice, you can use this tool with ease. This PC Repair Tool will do the best to pretty much any error in the system. Apart from the 0x80070070 error, this specific tool can fix any BSOD and registry corruption. On top of that, it can fix DLL errors as well. In simplest terms, the PC Repair Tool is an all-in-one solution to fix PC-related errors.